When I came across this recipe, I fell in love with it because its so gosh-darn easy.
Italian Wedding Soup
6-8 cups chicken broth
4-5 cloves garlic, diced
1 tray of mild italian sausage (or small meatballs)
Spinach, torn into smallish pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2-3 cups cooked small pasta (I use small shells)
- add garlic to broth, and heat on med-low heat in large soup pot, keeping it simmering throughout the process.
- in a separate pot, cook the pasta.
- chop sausages, onion and celery, and cook in skillet until meat is completely cooked and vegetables are soft. Toss the spinach in for last few minutes (it cooks fast!).
- pour sausages, onion, celery and spinach into the broth.
- when pasta is completely cooked, run under cold water until completely cooled. This blanches them, and stops them from going to mush in the soup.
- add pasta to broth. Stir, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
*Note: I make my chicken broth from scratch, by boiling leftover chicken bones for several hours, adding pepper, salt, garlic, a bay leaf, coriander and parsley. If you are using store-bought broth, you may wish to add your own flair with your favorite seasonings.